Friday, January 20, 2017

Blogging Updates and Changes: Retiring the Six for Saturday Series


Have you ever felt like you've lost your creative voice a little? Slide off path?  Need a change?  That's kind of how I feel right now.  A new year is a great time for a fresh start, and Creativity Unmasked is no exception. The blog is going to be going through a few changes over the next little while, and it includes the retirement of our much loved Six for Saturday (or Sunday) weekly creative round-ups.  Here's the scoop on what I'm planning to change and why.

When I first started Creativity Unmasked seven years ago it was an offshoot from my crafty business so that I had a place for sharing creative inspirations and discoveries, including featuring the work of fellow small business artists, crafters, and creatives.  Creative blogs were fresh and few,  Pinterest didn't exist, and social media was genuinely social.  Things have changed a lot since then and so have I and my lovely readers. Thank you all for continuing to read and grow with me. :) 

In 2014 I took an extended blog break while we relocated overseas and when I came back on line with Creativity Unmasked in mid-2015, my reasons for wanting to blog and what I wanted to share had evolved and I struggled to adjust Creativity Unmasked into my new vision.  I decided to split my blogging into three more refined niches to better suit me and my readers, with Creativity Unmasked remaining my general crafty hub, Dalmatian DIY became my new home for all things dog, and Green in Real Life became a place for sharing my nature photos and a little of the day-to-day green/garden goodness that I'm trying to create in life.  I'm absolutely loving the new structure and new blogs, but don't quite feel like I've succeeded in evolving Creativity Unmasked into what I want to share with you here on this creative blog.

As part of my New Year's goals for the blog (and myself), I'm aiming to:

  • Curate Less - When I started Creativity Unmasked the blog was a useful platform for curating and sharing, which is why I started the Six for Saturday (or Sunday) creative inspiration series. Since then, Pinterest has become a go-to tool for consolidating and sharing inspirations.  I'm going to continue to use my themed Pinterest boards to share creative ideas and promote others. Curated posts will still occasionally be shared for special events and occasions, but in a very different style and format.
  • Create More - I want to spend more time doing the things that I love than curating ideas.  This year, I plan to create, try, and do more of what makes me happy.  Some of that will be shared with you here. 
  • Be True - When I make something, I want it to be because I'm keen to make it, not just create content. Fellow crafty bloggers, do you ever feel the same?  When I do share here at Creativity Unmasked, I want it to be because I want to share not just because I feel like I need to post to a cycle or schedule. 
  • Share More - Not in terms of frequency but in terms of openness about what's happening good and bad, like this post. Pinterest perfect posts and pretty Instragrams can make us normal people feel pretty crappy sometimes. Life isn't perfect. Sometimes my crafts are terrible failures, sometimes my recipes are a total flop, and more often than I'd care to admit my craft stash looks like a disaster zone.  

Of course, I also have some behind-the-scenes things I need to work on as well with code, structure, tags, etc. That will all happen slowly in the background without interrupting access to the blog or our post archives.  Apologies in advance for any hiccups along the way.

Are you making any blogging or crafting resolutions for 2017?  Share them in the comments - we'd love to hear from you!  If you'd like, you are also welcome to leave your blog/site address so that we can all visit and watch you grow! :)  If you want to include a live link in a blogger comment, it is simple - just use the following format as a guide: <a href="http://www.yourlink.com">text you want shown for your link</a> You can also reach us on social media, and its a-ok to share your personal creative or crafty link on our Facebook page.  We look forward to visiting!  

P.S. If you need a hand organising your own blog goals, check out our Free Printable Blog Planners. If you need a little inspiration to revive your creative juices, check out our 25+ Ideas to Help Stretch Towards Your Creative Goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts. We are all about sharing here at Creativity Unmasked so you are also welcome to give your own creative post/page a shout-out in your comment. :)