Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fear of Failure

Light-hearted teasing with the You're Doing It Wrong/That's What She Said  Pencil Set by oneupdesigns on Etsy

Today's Oprah "Thought for the Day" email headlined something I couldn't resist clicking to open: 13 Quotes to Inspire Your Creativity.  My favourite Thoreau creative quote is one of the mix, but the quote that really made me think was:  To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. - Joseph Chilton Pearce 

This is quote rings true to me personally.  It reflects the challenge that I struggle with more than any other in trying to live a more creative life.  Put myself "out there" for the world to see and judge is fraught with rumblings of self-doubt, anxiety, judgment, and more than the occasional twinge of fear of failure. What quote speaks to you and why?

A delightful dose of self-affirmation from SuspectShoppe on Etsy 
PS: Check out the artist's book "Daring Adventures in Paint" that I stumbled upon in the shop!  How exciting!!!

5 comments:

Mel said...

I agree. I am always nervous about what people will think of my work and my ideas. Sometimes it even keeps me awake at night!

Jen said...

I like the Danny Kaye quote “Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it.”

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura. My quote might help for you when you get worried about what everyone else thinks. I like the Einstein quote that says

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

TLN said...

Jen, that is a great quote!

Anonymous, I will have to add that Einstein quote to my self-affirmation bank. Thanks so much! :)

TLN said...

Mel, the Einstein quote is a good for you too, but I thought you might like this Disney pin about looking forward instead of back. I tend to dwell instead of growing forward sometimes!

http://pinterest.com/pin/18507048438686406/